Youth Entrepreneurial Academy
An Exciting Opportunity For Student Entrepreneurs
|Summer Entrepreneurship Academy|
|What||Youth Entrepreneurial Academy, aka YEA, is a fun opportunity to learn about starting your own business and begin creating wealth for yourself doing something you are passionate about. Learn the ins and outs of starting a business and becoming your own boss. Students will transform ideas and passions into a viable business plan. Every participant will receive a $500 NIACC scholarship and have an opportunity to compete for seed money to launch their business this summer.|
|When||June 14 - 18, 2021|
|Where||Hybrid Academy – Virtual Classroom plus face to face team building and networking activities in various locations in North Iowa|
|Who||Current high school students|
|Details||Over 270 North Iowa students have participated in this program. Approximately 25 aspiring student entrepreneurs from North Iowa will participate. Join in the interesting activities, insightful guest speakers, pitch competition and fun field trips!|
|Apply||Applications are also available from your counselor, business teachers or the NIACC John Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center: 2021 YEA application. Applications are due May 26, 2021 for priority deadline, or until program is full.|
What is the Youth Entrepreneurial Academy?
The Youth Entrepreneurial Academy is a unique opportunity for a motivated high school student like you. It’s designed to provide you with the fundamental skills to start your own business and become an entrepreneur. The Youth Entrepreneurial Academy consists of several components including an evening orientation and a 5 day academy in which you focus on the development of skills, knowledge, and attitudes of entrepreneurship.
Upon successful completion of the Youth Entrepreneurial Academy, you will be awarded a $500 Youth Entrepreneurial Academy Scholarship if you choose to attend NIACC. This scholarship can also be used for summer or on-line classes at NIACC.
Additional scholarships are available to students enrolling in the Associate in Applied Science Entrepreneurship & Small Business Management Degree program at NIACC.
1. You must complete the Youth Entrepreneurial Academy application form and return it to the John Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center. Your application package will consist of:
- A completed application form and statement of commitment, if selected * A self-evaluation of approximately 250 words.
- A personal recommendation from teacher, employer or coach.
- A statement of commitment from your parent(s) or guardian supporting your participation in the program.
2. You will participate in a personal interview.
3. The John Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center will notify you regarding your participation in the Youth Entrepreneurial Academy.
To be eligible, you must:
- Be a high school student.
- Have a history of achievement in academics, employment, or extracurricular activities.
- Plan to continue your education at a college or university after high school graduation.
- Have completed the Youth Entrepreneurial Academy student application form and participated in a student interview.
Students will be selected based on combination of the written materials submitted and the personal interview. Students will be assessed in the areas of:
- Innovation and creativity
- Motivation and interest
- Unique competencies or expertise
Academy enrollment includes:
- $500 Scholarship
- Travel Expense paid
- Potential money to start business
- Access to Incubator Business space
Mail completed applications to:
NIACC John Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center
500 College Drive, Mason City, IA 50401
Email to Kelley.O'Rourke@niacc.edu