Student Venture Competition
Sponsored by John Pappajohn, Equity Dynamics, Inc., the Pappajohn Student Entrepreneurial Venture Competition is intended for Iowa university and college students with an interest in starting their own business. Plans are judged based on a) Content of Plan and b) Viability of business idea. Three (3) seed grants in the amount of $5,000 are awarded to the top three business plans submitted in the competition. In addition, all finalists receive $500 if not chosen for the top awards.
- Full or part-time undergraduate or graduate students registered during the fall semester at any Iowa post-secondary educational institution are eligible for the competition. High school students enrolled in college credit courses are eligible.
- Plans may be submitted by an individual or by a team of students.
- Teams must consist of at least one student member.
- Teams must consist of five or fewer members.
- Business plans must be for a start-up business only (not for an existing business).
How to Apply
Students will need to submit an executive summary, a one-page Business Model Canvas and financial projections to the John Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center closest to their home institution.
- Pappajohn Student Entrepreneurial Venture Competition Application Packet
- PSEVC Spring 2021 Terms & Conditions
Coaching is available for North Iowa area students at the Pappajohn Center. Contact kelley.o’firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
2021 Timeline of Competition
April 4, 2021 — All applications due
Business documents due to respective John Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center (by midnight): Application Form, Terms & Conditions, Executive Summary, Business Model Canvas, Financial Spreadsheet(s), and W-9 form (preferred payment to individual, not business).
April 5-14, 2021 — Judging, Regional Competition ($500)
Each of the five regional locations will select no more than three top business plans to compete in the final competition. Regional competitions may include interviews or presentations at the discretion of the regional centers.
April 16 — Up to 15 Teams Selected to Advance
Communication sent to each finalist with specific instructions for submitting pitch decks and video pitches.
April 28, 2021 — Final Statewide Competition & Awards
Finalists will give a pitch (including pitch deck) to John Pappajohn and his senior advisors at Equity Dynamics in Des Moines, Iowa. Three top awards ($5,000 each) will be presented following a luncheon event. $5,000 winners are not eligible for the $500 regional award – only one award per team.
Business Model Canvas
- Business Model Template (PPT)
Please reference the Income Statement tab (3-year projections)